A New Dixie and a New Standard [1909]

Trial Trip of the "Standard"

While being tried out on the Hudson the Monaco racer capsized, throwing her crew of four into the river. The damage repaired in time for shipment abroad.

Two Motor Boats For Monaco Races
Racing Motor Boat Wrecked in Trial
Trial Trip of the "Standard"
Two American Boats for Monaco
Models of Dixie II and III

When the news was flashed over the wires on the afternoon of Sunday, February 21, telling that an accident had occurred to Standard, the new 50-foot racer, there was consternation in the ranks of motorboat enthusiasts. Standard is owned by Price McKinney, of Cleveland. She was designed by Clinton H. Crane, and was built at Wood's shipyard at City Island, N.Y. She is 49.2 feet long over all (16 meters), 7 feet 1 inch beam, and is equipped with the six-cylinder double-acting Standard motor, 10 inches bore and 10 inches stroke, which was installed in the former Standard racer. This engine, by a different arrangement of piping on auxiliary exhaust and inlet, has developed 580-hp. on a brake test. With the new Dixie she is entered to represent America in the motorboat meeting at Monaco, and when the news of the accident was first made public, many feared that it would be impossible to ship her at the time scheduled, Saturday, February 27, although the date of shipment was subsequently postponed for one week.

A most remarkable incident occurred before the accident. Prior to making a sharp turn the boat was heeling over to port. Standard was being tried out on the Hudson River and had been run for some time made fast alongside of the lighter. When the lines were cast off and she started on a trial run there were on board: Clinton H. Crane, A. H. Ziegler, J. H. Putrell and Eric Pearson. Late in the afternoon she was skimming across the Hudson opposite 130th Street, when, it is stated, she encountered an obstruction of some sort near the New York shore before she had gone very far. Whether or not Standard actually struck some floating object, it is certain that she suddenly capsized to starboard, and the four men on board were plunged into the icy waters of the Hudson. Fortunately, all were rescued and taken on board the Manager, which was standing by and which had been used as a tender. Eric Pearson was caught under the engine when the boat upset, but was able to breathe, s the air remained under the boat, and as soon as he could realize his predicament, he dived under the gunwale and came up outside, where he hung until rescued. Mr. Ziegler also swam back to the wrecked boat, and Mr. Putrell and Mr. Crane kept themselves afloat until picked up by the tug.

After the accident the Standard was quickly raised from the water and placed aboard the Manager, when the hole in her planking was discovered. Repairs began immediately, and by the date of sailing she was in sufficiently good condition to be shipped abroad.

(Transcribed from the MotorBoat, Mar. 10, 1909, pp. 4-6. )

[Thanks to Greg Calkins for help in preparing this page —LF]

Hydroplane History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at wildturnip@gmail.com
Leslie Field, 2001