1906 Monte Carlo
Monte Carlo, Monaco, April 1-15, 1906


The Monaco Meet Of 1906

Monaco
Monaco Power Boat Regatta
Monte Carlo: The Exhibition
Monte Carlo: Monaco Fortnight
The Monaco Meet of 1906

The third annual gathering of power boats on the Mediterranean was inaugurated by the opening of the meeting at Monte Carlo on April 4th, the racing beginning 3 days later. The course was over a quadrilateral course between Monaco and Cape Martin; he finish just off the casino at Monte Carlo; the length being 10 kilometers or 6.21 miles. The first day was cold and cloudy, but there was a large party of people present at 2 o'clock when the Prince of Monaco, accompanied by his son, arrived at the grounds, they were welcomed by Camille Blanc, president of the committee or organization. The prince visited and examined the launches and discussed them with the exhibitors. There were in place racers and launches of all types and sizes, the majority being of the general type, with sharp, deep entrance and long run, topsides well rolled in on the quarters and with a high turtleback. France, Germany, England and Italy were represented; the latter by several fine hulls carrying the noted Fiat engines. The exhibit as a whole was more complete than in the former years, the hulls being fully finished and carefully painted and varnished instead if being shown in a semi-finished condition. The Tellier launch La Rapiere II, with 100-h.p. Panhard engine, displayed a novelty in the position of the rudder, on the port quarter and clear of the screw, its position being so located as to neutralize the disturbing effect of the screw. Several launches showed two rudders, one on each quarter.

All of the well-known makes of hulls and engines were represented, in most cases under old names such as Mercedes, Napier, Rapiere, Antoinette, Mendelssohn, etc., with distinguishing numerals and initials. The freak of the collection was the huge Mercedes W.N., with a deep V section like an old fashioned cutter yacht. The most popular class was the 6-50 meter cruising, some fine launches being shown. Le Dubonnet, over-weighted last year with the immense 400-h.p. Delahaye engine, is this year fitted with two De Dietrich engines in tandem; while the old engine is installed in a new hull, Delahaye, of 18 meters, built of steel. A novelty is shown in the Tellier hull Caflit, a duplicate of La Rapiere, of 12 meters length, with twin screws; the two engines being joined on a common crankshaft.

An East wind on April 6 made it impossible to launch the boats, but toward evening, when it fell, several boats were put overboard. With good weather the next morning all were soon afloat and under way. The first day of the racing, April 8, brought fine weather and at 10:30 a.m., the first race was started for the first series of cruisers. Out of 17 entries but 12 came to the line, and only six finished, all the others came to grief. Mendelssohn won, with an average of 15.4 miles to the hour. In the afternoon the 8-meter class of racers was started, Antoinette IV showing an average of 26.8 miles and leading La Rapiere by 2 1/2 minutes over the course. Seasick could not be started and Vol-au-Vent made but one turn.

After a race of the 8-meter cruising class in the morning, two finishing out of six starters, the 12-meter racing class was started on Monday afternoon. Caflit, Mercedes-Paris, Fiat XIII and Siola failed to start or met with mishaps after starting, the race being between Yarrow- Napier and Martini. The latter was almost overpowered by the sea and the English boat won at an average speed of 25 kilometers (15 miles).

On April 10 in the morning the cruisers of 8 t o 12 meters were started, six in all; Calypso, a Pitre hull with Mors engine, showing an average of 33.95 kilometers over the 50-kilo- meter course; Delahaye-Nautilus was second and Excelsior IX third. In the afternoon the 12-18 meter racers were started, with Delahaye, Mercedes W.N., Mercedes D.L. and Dubonnet at the line. Dubonnet was first away, followed by Mercedes D.L., but after a little delay in starting, losing a couple of minutes. Delahaye soon passed the leaders and finally won by ten minutes from Dubonnet and 13 from Mercedes; her average being 38.6 kilometers. Mercedes W.N. did not finish.

The first race of April 11 was for davit launches, only two starting; Dalifol III won over the 25-kilometer course at an average of 19.47. Only one boat, the winner of 1905, Henriette, came to the line for the race of fishing boats. In the afternoon the cruisers of 12-18 meters were started, four boats, Pampa running well and covering the 50 kilometers in 2 hr. 26 min. 56 sec.

The championship of the sea on April 12, was the most interesting event of the meet, with 9 racers and 15 cruisers starting, for 20 rounds or 200 kilometers (124 miles). Delahaye won in 4 hr. 40 min. 12 sec, an average of 42.85 kilometers or 26.6 miles; with Antoinette second (42,42 kilometers), Fiat XIII third (41.81), and Yarrow-Napier fourth (41.71). The handicap race on April 13 was won by Yarrow-Napier with Seasick only 5 seconds astern after a hard race, there being 7 starters. The cruising division brought out 25 starters, Florentia IV winning. April 14 was devoted to a trial of the new rule of measurement. with unsatisfactory results. In addition, Quand-Meme of 1905 ran over the Monaco-Mentone course in the special cruiser class.

The last race, on April 15 was over a mile course, for the Prince of Monaco's cup; run in the presence of 20,000 spectators on the natural amphitheater formed by the hills and bay. In the morning Fiat XIII was in collision with Dubonnet, tearing the stem from the planking; only her collision bulkhead saving her from sinking. She was hastily repaired and started with the fleet. The final was between Fiat XIII, Seasick and Delahaye, the former, with Lancia on board, winning in 2 min. 25 sec., for the mile, standing start, and 1 min. 11 4-5 sec., for the flying kilometer; the average being 50.56 or 32 miles. After the race a reception took place on the stem yacht Princess Alice, of the Prince of Monaco, the Cross of St. Charles being conferred upon Alphonse Tellier, designer and builder of La Rapiere.

(Transcribed from Power Boat News, May 5, 1906, pp. 143-146. )

[Thanks to Greg Calkins for help in preparing this page. —LF]


Hydroplane History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at wildturnip@gmail.com
Leslie Field, 2000