1910 Vancouver (WA) Harvest Show Race
Columbia River, Vancouver WA, October 1, 1910

Seattle Boat Victor
Portland Craft Has Engine Trouble
Course Covered in 38 Minutes and 46 Seconds.

VANCOUVER, Wash, Oct. 1.—(Special.)—The Seattle Spirit—Pacer II won the motorboat race at Vancouver’s harbor today, defeating the Wolff II, of Portland, which had engine trouble. The course was 20 miles and the time was 38 minutes and 46 seconds.

On a flying start the two boats got away at 3:20 o’clock amid the cheers of 2000 people. The Seattle boat was slightly in the lead, but in a few seconds the Wolff II had drawn alongside. The reverberation of the powerful engines was carried back on the strong wind for a mile, the Seattle Spirit-Pacer II gaining.

On the first lap the Wolff II came in more than a minute behind and it was evident that John Wolff, her owner, was having trouble with the engines. On the second lap she was four minutes behind and on the third lap she stopped at the judges’ stand. Wolff said that the first cylinder went out, he coming in on the other five. However, in a few minutes he had the engine in good shape and returned to Portland shortly after the Seattle Spirit-Pacer II finished, completing the 20 miles in 38 minutes and 46 seconds, an average speed of 30.9 miles per hour.

The fastest lap was made in 18 minutes and 55 seconds, or 31.17 miles per hour. The strong wind made the Columbia River rather rough, but this did not seem to affect the racers.

The Seattle boat was manned by Charles Binkley and E. Crowley, while John Wolff and Orth Mathiot handled the Wolff II. Commodore C. W. Boost, of the Portland Motorboat Club; F. F. Barbour, of Portland, and Harry Bancroft, of Vancouver, were the judges.

[Transcribed from the Sunday Oregonian, Oct, 2, 1910, Sect. II, p. 5]

* * *

Seattle Spirit Beat the Wolff
Fast Motor Boats Race in a Furious Storm in Vancouver Harbor
Special to the Post-Intelligencer

VANCOUVER, Wash., Oct. 1—The Seattle Spirit motor-boat won a twenty-mile race today in Vancouver harbor, from the Wolff. The Wolff dropped out after ten miles on account of engine trouble, but the Spirit was far in the lead then. The time for the twenty miles was 38 minutes, 40 seconds, or 30.9 miles per hour. The fastest lap made was ten miles, 18 minutes, 55 seconds, or 31.17 miles per hour.

The wind was furious and the waves were high, but the Spirit, driven by Charles Benkley and E. Crowley, plowed through bravely, and was loudly cheered by 3,000 on the banks of the Columbia.

The $100 purse was given by the Clarke County Harvest Show.

[Transcribed from the Seattle Post-Intelligencer, Oct. 2, 1910, Sect. VII, p. 1.]

(Thanks to Greg Calkins for help in preparing this page —LF)

Hydroplane History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at wildturnip@gmail.com
© Leslie Field, 2005