2001 Belterra Casino Madison Regatta
Ohio River, Madison IN, July 7-8, 2001
Madison Race Results
(Madison, Ind.) - Steve David piloted the Madison hometown boat to victory today at the Belterra Casino Madison Regatta, the second race of the Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series Presented by Laughlin.
David, driving the U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto which is owned by the City of Madison, took advantage of a miss-timed start from three boats and was able to hold off the rest of the field to secure his triumphant return to the sport. The crowd in Madison was going crazy as David crossed the finish line ahead of Greg Hopp and Jimmy King.
David's victory brought back memories of Jim McCormick's win driving the Miss Madison at the 1971 Madison Gold Cup race. "There is no better way we could have scripted the 30th Anniversary celebration of Miss Madison's Gold Cup victory than with a Miss Madison win today," said Gary Garbrecht, President of Hydro-Prop. "The City of Madison has been involved with Unlimited Hydroplane racing for over 41 years and they deserve to celebrate tonight."
David scored his fourth Unlimited hydroplane career victory and the first for the city of Madison since 1993. "This is totally amazing," said David. "I could not have drawn this scenario up any better. To win my first Unlimited race since 1995 and to do it in front of these loyal fans of Madison, is a feeling that I will never forget. The tradition of the Miss Madison was an important aspect in my decision to return to the sport. Having 13,000 people cheering you on is the best feeling in the world and I am glad to have been a part of this historic occasion. I knew this team was ready to win and it showed by their preparation. The team has been waiting for this for a long time and you could just see it in their eyes that they were ready for a victory. "
Rounding out the top five was Terry Troxell and Mark Weber. Dave Villwock and the defending champion Miss Budweiser finished sixth.
* Preliminary Heats Produce Exciting Action Leading up to the final race, Madison fans were treated to exciting deck-to-deck racing in the preliminary heats. Four different drivers were victorious today in the preliminary heats including Steve David, Mark Weber, Greg Hopp and Dave Villwock.
* Hanson's Day Ends Early at Madison Mike Hanson was the top qualifier for the second consecutive race with a speed of 157.202 miles per hour. Unfortunately, Hanson suffered significant damage to the right side of his Unlimited in the first Heat and had to withdraw.
* O'Doul's High Point Championship Standings Dave Villwock is still atop the O'Doul's High Points Championship standings with 266 points. Mark Weber currently sits in second with 255 points followed by Steve David with 239 points. Rounding out the top five are Greg Hopp with 176 points and Jimmy King with 167 points.
Madison Regatta Results:
1. U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto, Steve David
2. U-100 Miss Znetix I, Greg Hopp
3. U-8 LLumar Window Film, Jimmy King
4. U-99 Miss Znetix II, Terry Troxell
5. U-10 Miss Emcor, Mark Weber
6. U-1 Miss Budweiser, Dave Villwock
7. U-25 Security Race Products, Dr. Ken Muscatel
8. U-3 Master Tire, Mitch Evans
9. U-9 Miss Bello's Pizza, Mike Hanson
The Belterra Casino Madison Regatta will be televised on ESPN2 on Sunday,
August 5 at 7:00 PM (EDT).
History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at email@example.com
© Leslie Field, 2002