2001 Columbia Cup
Tri-Cities Race Report
(Tri-Cities, Wash.) - Terry Troxell stunned defending series champion Dave Villwock to win today's Budweiser Columbia Cup at Tri-Cities, the fourth race of the 2001 Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series presented by Laughlin.
Troxell, driving the U-99 Miss Znetix II, scored his first Unlimited hydroplane career victory for team owner Fred Leland.
"Winning my first career race in my first full season in the Unlimiteds is amazing," said Troxell. "But to win in front of friends and family in my home state is even better. I am so proud to be a part of this team and to be under the guidance of a legend such as Fred Leland. He has been instrumental in the history of Unlimited Hydroplanes and I am honored that I could bring him his 18th career win today on his birthday."
Villwock, seeking his second win of the season and his fourth career Tri-Cities victory, took runner-up honors aboard Bernie Little's Miss Budweiser. "We gave it what we had, but we got beat," said Villwock. "Give Terry Troxell and Fred Leland's team credit, today was just their day."
Third place went to Fred Leland's other entry, Miss Znetix I, driven by Greg Hopp. Rounding out the top five were Michael Hanson and Nate Brown.
* Four Races - Four Different Winners The 2001 Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series presented by Laughlin has produced four exciting weekends of racing. With Troxell's victory today at Tri-Cities, the series has witnessed four different winners at the four races. Dave Villwock, Steve David and Michael Hanson have also secured victories this season.
* O'Doul's National High Points Championship Dave Villwock is still atop the O'Doul's National High Points Championship standings with 595 points. Mark Weber currently sits in second with 492 points followed by Greg Hopp with 440 points. Steve David is in fourth position with 427 points and Michael Hanson is in fifth with 338 points.
*Budweiser Columbia Cup Results:
1. U-99 Miss Znetix II, Terry Troxell
2. U-1 Miss Budweiser, Dave Villwock
3. U-100 Miss Znetix I, Greg Hopp
4. U-9 Fiesta Bowl & Casino, Michael Hanson
5. U-16 Miss E-lam Plus, Nate Brown
6. U-8 LLumar Window Film, Jimmy King
7. U-10 Miss Diamond Lil's, Mark Weber
8. U-2 Miss Trendwest, Scott Pierce
9. U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto, Steve David
10. U-25 Silver Dollar Casinos, Dr. Ken Muscatel
11. U-3 Vacationville.com, Mitch Evans
12. U-15 Quick Lane & Key 98.3 presents Miss EMCOR, Mike Weber
The Budweiser Columbia Cup will be televised on ESPN2 on Sunday, September 9 at 2:00 PM (EDT).
History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
© Leslie Field, 2002