1952 Silver Cup
Detroit River, Detroit, Michigan, September 1, 1952

Boat Banter
By Fred Runnells

bullet Boat Banter
bullet Seven-Liter Class Wildcatter Does 73.476 MPH as Detroit Regatta Starts
bullet Speed Boat Trophy Taken By Gale II
bullet Gale II Takes Silver Cup in Annual Labor Day Classic
bullet Statistics

"Weíre sorry but we canít postpone the Labor Day regatta date." That was the answer Stan Sayres received from Leonard H. Thompson, secretary of the Detroit International Regatta Association, after conferring with Ed Bodkin, regatta chairman, and Clyde Palmer, race committee chairman.

Sayres had requested the postponement of the Labor Day regatta so he would have more time to recondition Slo Mo V, which blew a cylinder in the first heat of the 1952 Gold Cup race recently. Sayers made the request through the American Powerboat Association; which in turn passed it on to Thompson and the host club of the Labor Day regatta, the Detroit Yacht Club.

The request wasnít denied because local officials didnít want the famous Slo-Mo V here for the Silver Cup. On the contrary they wanted Sayres here very much but pointed out that the Silver Cup race was only one of eight on the program and that there were several other drivers in other classes to consider: Some of them were coming from as far away as New Orleans and other distant points. It was also pointed out that other regattas had their own dates and to postpone the Labor Day event would only garble up the rest of the racing season for the other clubs and the boat owners.

Walter and Roy Dossin, owners of Miss Pepsi, couldnít tell whether their boat would be ready to run in the Silver Cup classic or not. The boat didnít arrive in Detroit, via trailer, from Lake Washington in Seattle, until Monday. Work began immediately in tearing down the busted gear box that forced Miss Pepsi from the Gold Cup event and the Dossins were hopeful repairs could be made in time to give local speedboat fans an opportunity to see the Gold Cup monster perform Labor Day.

[Reprinted from the Grosse Pointe News, August 21, 1952]

*  *  *

Doesn't look like Wild Bill Cantrell will be back in Detroit in time for the Silver Cup race on Labor Day. Harry Leduc tells us he received a letter from Wild Bill, written by his nurse, and he said he figured to be out of the hospital in 15 days but said he probably was being optimistic.

[Reprinted from the Grosse Point News, August 28, 1952]

Hydroplane History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at wildturnip@gmail.com
© Leslie Field, 2007