2001 Chrysler Jeep APBA Gold Cup
Detroit River, Detroit MI, July 12-15, 2001
Hanson Stuns Crowd to Win Prestigious APBA Gold Cup at Detroit
Three Races Produce Three Different Winners
(Detroit, Mich.) - Veteran driver Michael Hanson of Bonneylake, Wash. won the Chrysler Jeep APBA Gold Cup today at Detroit, the third race of the Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series Presented by Laughlin.
Hanson, driving the U-9 Tubby's Grilled Subs entry, scored his third Unlimited hydroplane career victory and the first for team owners Lori and Mike Jones. The victory was also the first APBA Gold Cup for Hanson and the Jones'. "This is pretty sweet," said Hanson. "Our team has come a long way. They did a terrific job repairing the boat after Madison. They worked night and day and if it was not for their dedication and effort, I would not be in victory circle today."
"To win our first career race as owners is amazing," said Lori Jones. "But to have the Gold Cup as our first win is absolutely the best feeling in the world. Now that we've learned how to make the boat go fast, we hope that we can pick up some permanent sponsorship to help us stay up front. I am also looking forward to the rest of the season and hopefully adding another victory."
Greg Hopp took runner-up honors aboard Fred Leland's Miss Znetix I and last week's winner, Steve David in the Oh Boy! Oberto finished third. "Give Mike and Lori and the entire team a lot of credit," said David. "They worked hard during the off-season and especially this week repairing the boat. I would have liked to make it two in a row but I guess today was just their day."
Local favorite Mark Weber, in the Shelby Enterprises presents Miss DYC, finished fourth and Dave Villwock in the Miss Budweiser finished fifth. Villwock spun going into the Roostertail Turn prior to the start and could not challenge the leaders.
With Hanson's victory today, the Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series Presented by Laughlin has witnessed three different winners in the first three races of the season. Defending Series Champion Dave Villwock opened the season with a victory at Evansville and Steve David won the Madison race in front of the hometown crowd .
* Preliminary Heats Produce Excitement Once again, fans along the shores of the Detroit River were treated to thrilling racing in the preliminary heats. Four different drivers were victories in the heats including, Michael Hanson, Dave Villwock, Mark Weber and Greg Hopp.
* O'Doul's National High Points Championship Dave Villwock is still atop the O'Doul's National High Points Championship standings with 439 points. Mark Weber currently sits in second with 419 points followed by Steve David with 371 points. Rounding out the top five are Greg Hopp with 327 points and Michael Hanson with 311 points.
*Chrysler Jeep APBA Gold Cup Results:
1. U-9 Tubby's Grilled Subs, Michael Hanson
2. U-100 Miss Znetix I, Greg Hopp
3. U-6 Oh Boy! Oberto, Steve David
4. U-10 Shelby Enterprises presents Miss DYC, Mark Weber
5. U-1 Miss Budweiser, Dave Villwock
6. U-99 Miss Znetix II, Terry Troxell
7. U-25 Roy O'Brien Ford, Dr. Ken Muscatel
8. U-2 Miss Chrysler Jeep, Scott Pierce
9. U-3 Master Tire, Mitch Evans
10. U-8 LLumar Window Film, Jimmy King
11. U-15 Miss EMCOR presents Miss DYC, Mike Weber
Next stop on the Budweiser Unlimited Hydroplane Series Presented by Laughlin is the Budweiser Columbia Cup at Tri-Cities, Wash., on July 27-29.
History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at email@example.com
© Leslie Field, 2002
History Home Page