1910 Astoria Regatta
Columbia River, Astoria OR, August 29-31, 1910

Regatta Opening Most Auspicious
New Commander Greeted With Cheers and Band Plays "Auld Lang Syne"
Happy Heine, The Wolff No.2, Fore’n Aft and Other Craft
Winners in First Day’s Events. Capron Made Commodore

bullet Astoria Regatta to be the Big Event
bullet Admiral's Staff Off For Regatta
bullet Regatta Opening Most Auspicious
bullet Portland Entry Wins Speed Race
bullet Greenhorn Wins Handicap Event
bullet Astoria's Great Regatta

ASTORIA, Or., Aug. 29—(Special)—Good weather and large crowds combined to make Astoria’s 15th annual regatta, which opened this morning, a grand success.

Promptly at 9 o’clock the flagship Armeria with Admiral Robinson’s staff and the McElroy band on board shifted to the stream. Immediately after the vessel had dropped anchor, the retiring Admiral, George S Shepherd, made a thrilling address of welcome to the new Admiral, W W Robinson, and presented him with the official flag, as the emblem of his command.

The flag of the retiring Admiral was lowered as the band played Auld Lang Syne and that of the new commander went up. It was an impressive sight. The entire staff with bared heads stood at attention during delivery of the welcoming speech, and upon its close greeted their new commander with three hearty cheers. The band played the Star Spangled Banner and the regatta was on.


Admiral Robinson’s first official act was to promote Captain Capron to the rank of commodore and Commodore McNulty to the rank of rear-admiral. He then detailed Rear-Admirals Gregory and McNulty as a provost guard and the latter arrested Commanders Schultz and Letter and Commodore Hawkins, Allehoff and Ewing for being absent without leave. The prisoners were tried before a court martial board consisting of Commodores Butler, Abraham,s, Bently and Capron, and they were denied shore leave and reduced in rank seven numbers.

During the morning the Admiral and his staff paid an official visit to Captain Daniels, of the cutter McCulloch and this afternoon the latter returned the visit on board the Armeria.

The first race of the day was for 26-foot motor-boats over a course of 20 miles. The entries were the Happy Heine, Coyote and Crow. The Happy Heine quickly took the lead and won by three minutes, her time being 54:59.


The next event was the first heat of the free-for-all speed boat race. The entries in this were Wolff mNo. 2, Pacer, Happy Heine, Wigwam and Greenhorn. The Seattle Spirit broke a casting of her engine shortly before the race and was unable to enter. The Wolff and Pacer soon drew ahead of the others, and it was a pretty race unbtil something went wrong with the latter’s machinery and she stopped dead for a few moments. The Wolff won in 39 minutes and 50 seconds, with the Pacer six minutes behind.

The second and third heats will run tomorrow and Wednesday and the Seattle Spirit will be entered.

The fishboat sailing race was won by N. Johnson, the fishboat motor race by S L Bartlett and the speed boat handicap by the Sylph with the Wigwam second.

In the skipjack sailing race there were five entries and the Fore’n Aft came in first with the Sparrow second.

[Transcribed from The Morning Oregonian, August 30, 1910, p. 6.]

(Thanks to Greg Calkins for help in preparing this page —LF)

Hydroplane History Home Page
This page was last revised Thursday, April 01, 2010 .
Your comments and suggestions are appreciated. Email us at wildturnip@gmail.com
© Leslie Field, 2004